The new Google Data Studio course is an online introductory course for those who are new to Google Data Studio, or for those who want to brush up on the basics. Google Data Studio is a free data visualization tool that let you illustrate your data in powerful reports.
Whether you are experienced in data viz, or still a beginner, Google’s course will help you navigate Data Studio and design your first report.
The online course begins by presenting you Data Studio’s features and benefits, such as:
- Visualize your data through highly configurable charts and tables.
- Easily connect to a variety of data sources.
- Explore your data and gain insights.
- Share your insights with your team or with the world.
- Collaborate on reports with your team.
- Speed up your report creation process with built-in sample reports and your own custom report templates.
Next, the course will run its students through the interface and show you how to connect data so it flows seamlessly into reports.
Finally, it will present how you can collaborate to build reports and share completed reports with others.
Throughout the course, Google provides the attendees’ the possibility to explore example reports and complete exercises and learn best practices to build clear and accurate reports.
Why should you learn Data Studio as an analyst?
Data Studio is a Business Intelligence tool that helps you turn your data into informative, easy to present, and fully customizable dashboards and reports.
With the help of Data Studio, you can tell your data using all chart types, make interactive reports with filters and date range controls, include links and clickable images, apply styles, and much more.
You are able to import data from multiple sources to build reports in Data Studio. Moreover, you can easily connect to a wide variety of data, without programming assistance. Below there are some examples of data you can connect:
- Google Marketing Platform products, including Google Ads, Analytics, Display & Video 360, Search Ads 360, and more
- Google consumer products, such as Sheets, YouTube, and Search Console
- Databases, including BigQuery, MySQL, and PostgreSQL
- Flat files via CSV file upload and Google Cloud Storage
Data Studio reports and data sources are stored as files on Google Drive, making it easy to share with anyone you want.
You can also embed your reports in other pages, such as Google Sites, blog posts or articles.
Here’s the Course Content, as published by Google:
- Unit 1: Welcome to Data Studio
- Lesson 1: Data Studio overview
- Lesson 2: How Data Studio works
- Lesson 3: Access controls
- Unit 2: Navigate Data Studio
- Lesson 1: Data Studio Home page
- Lesson 2: Data source overview
- Lesson 3: Report overview
- Lesson 4: Report edit mode overview
- Unit 3: Build your first report
- Lesson 1: Connect Data
- Lesson 2: Create a new report and add charts
- Lesson 3: Add and configure report controls
- Lesson 4: Share reports with others
- Unit 4: Format and Design Reports
- Lesson 1: Data visualization basics
- Lesson 2: Create and use report templates